How Do Bronx Residents View Their Natural Surroundings?

Read on the Pace University Undergraduate Research blog: How Do Bronx Residents View Their Natural Surroundings?

By Tatyana Graham

This summer, I worked on a project entitled “How Do Bronx Residents View Their Natural Surroundings?” with Dr. Toomey. My goal was to gain further insight into how Bronx residents view their urban surroundings in terms of nature and wildlife through park surveys and interviews. At first, I helped the Gotham Coyote Project maintain cameras in Van Cortlandt Park. This allowed me to become more familiar with the advances in research the Gotham Coyote Project has made, so that I could relay relevant information to local residents. After deploying cameras, I conducted short surveys of Van Cortlandt Park park goers and interviewed Riverdale/Kingsbridge residents. Through this research, I was able to learn more about the nuances in opinions of wildlife and nature in the area, how educated residents were on their local environment, and spread education through direct community engagement. Read the full article here.

Article reposted from Pace University’s Undergraduate Research blog.

Tatyana Graham '21

Tatyana Graham '21

Environmental Science Student

Tatyana Graham is pursuing a BS in Environmental Science at Pace University and is a student assistant in the Department of Environmental Studies and Science.

Recent Posts

Maddie Feaster ’21 Talks About Her Internship for the Gabel Fellowship

Maddie Feaster is a Masters in Environmental Policy student at Pace University. She entered Pace’s program following her experience as a volunteer for Sound Watch in Friday Harbor, WA. Here she talks about her experiences working with Friends of San Juans and her upcoming internship with Hudson Riverkeeper for the Gabel Fellowship.

read more